Have you ever wrangled an alligator? Tried giving a cat a bath? Tried corralling a wild horse? While these may seem far fetched, brushing toddlers’ teeth is quite possibly just as challenging. As a pediatric dentist in Frisco, we have some helpful tips on how to turn brushing your toddler’s teeth from torture into tolerable.
Tips And Tricks
- Make brushing toddlers’ teeth a game. Peek-a-boo is a great game toddlers love and can be the perfect distractor.
- Beat the clock. Kids love a challenge. Race against the clock, and if they brush until the alarm goes off, reward them with a sticker or an extra bedtime story.
- Brush with a friend. Have them practice with their favorite stuffed animal, and then have them brush together so their little guy doesn’t have to brush alone. Everything is better with a friend.
- Play one of their favorite songs. Choose a song that’s about 2 minutes in length, and have them brush to the beat until the song is over. For added fun, use the toothbrush as a microphone!
- Brush at the same time. Little ones love to mimic their parents. Brushing your toddler’s teeth at the same time as yours is a great way to set an example and establish healthy habits at a young age.
Toothbrush size and bristle type is important when choosing a brush for your toddler’s teeth. You should choose a child size brush with soft bristles. For extra softness, soak the brush in warm water for a few minutes prior to brushing. Some toothbrushes have lights that can time how long your toddler brushes, and some even play music.
Brushing your children or toddler’s teeth doesn’t have to be torture – for either of you. Utilizing some of the tips from Dr. Shir, your Frisco pediatric dentist, may be just what you need to tame your toddler and make brushing time fun. Call Sheer Smiles Kids today at (972) 987-0787 to discuss more ideas on how to make brushing your toddler’s teeth a success.