Dental Cleaning Dentist in Frisco, Texas
Dental Cleaning Dentist in Frisco, Texas
Dental Cleaning Dentistry Frisco, Texas
Prophylaxis (Teeth Cleaning)A dental prophylaxis ( kid’s teeth cleaning ) is a cleaning procedure performed to thoroughly clean the child’s teeth. Prophylaxis is an important dental treatment for halting the formation or progression of periodontal disease and gingivitis. Periodontal disease and gingivitis occur when teeth are not brushed regularly and bacteria from plaque colonize on the gingival (gum) tissue, either above or below the gum line. These bacteria colonies cause serious inflammation and irritation which in turn produce a chronic inflammatory response in the body. As a result, the body begins to systematically destroy gum and bone tissue, making the teeth shift, become unstable, or completely fall out. The pockets between the gums and teeth become deeper and house more bacteria which may travel via the bloodstream and infect other parts of the body.
Reasons for prophylaxis/teeth cleaningProphylaxis is an excellent procedure to help keep the oral cavity in good health and also halt the formation of gum disease. Here are some of the benefits of prophylaxis:
- Tartar Removal – Tartar (calculus) and plaque buildup, both above and below the gum line, can cause serious periodontal problems if left untreated. Even using the best brushing and flossing homecare techniques, it can be impossible to remove all the debris, bacteria and deposits from gum pockets. The experienced eye of your dentist using specialized dental equipment is needed in order to spot and treat problems such as tartar and plaque buildup.
- Aesthetics – It’s hard to feel confident about a smile marred by yellowing, or stained teeth. Prophylaxis can rid the teeth of unsightly stains and return the smile to its former glory.
- Fresher Breath – Periodontal disease is often signified by persistent bad breath (halitosis). Bad breath is generally caused by a combination of rotting food particles below the gum line, possible gangrene stemming from gum infection, and periodontal problems. The removal of plaque, calculus and bacteria noticeably improves breath and alleviates irritation.
What does prophylaxis treatment involve?Prophylaxis can be performed in the course of a regular dental visit or, if necessary, under general anesthetic. The latter is particularly common where severe periodontal disease is suspected or has been diagnosed by the dentist. Prophylaxis is generally performed in several stages:
- Supragingival Cleaning – The dentist will thoroughly clean the area above the gum line with scaling tools to rid them of plaque and calculus.
- Subgingival Cleaning – This is the most important step for patients with periodontal disease because the dentist is able to remove calculus from the gum pockets and beneath the gum line.
- Root Planing – This is the smoothing of the tooth root by the dentist to eliminate any remaining bacteria. These bacteria are extremely dangerous to periodontitis sufferers, so eliminating them is one of the top priorities of the dentist.
- Medication – Following scaling and root planing, an antibiotic or antimicrobial cream is often placed in the gum pockets. These creams promote fast and healthy healing in the pockets and help ease discomfort.
- X-ray & Examination – Routine X-rays can be extremely revealing when it comes to periodontal disease. X-rays show the extent of bone and gum recession, and also aid the dentist in identifying areas which may need future attention.
About Dr. Solmaz Shir, DDS
Presently, Dr. Solmaz Shir is a Board Certified Specialist in Pediatric Dentistry. In addition, Dr. Shir, Received her Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science from the University of Texas at Austin, and her Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S) degree from University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio.
Specifically, Dr. Solmaz Shir graduated from dental school with a distinction in academic teaching. After that, she received numerous leadership, academic, and dentistry awards. As a result, Dr. Solmaz Shir has held a position as part-time faculty at Baylor College of Dentistry while practicing general dentistry in private practice setting in DFW area.
Sheer Smiles participates with most PPO insurance plans. Medicaid and CHIP accepted.
No Dental Insurance???
Our plan is designed to provide greater access to quality dental care at an affordable price.
For more details about what the plan includes, visit our Sheer Smiles VIP page
Same Day Pediatric Emergency Appointments!
Sudden dental injuries or severe pain can be frightening. In these emergency situations, we will be there to help your child, 24/7/365!
What Our Kids Parents Think About Us!
Dr. Shir will provide the best Pediatric Dentistry services for your child!
What diet and nutritional advice can be offered for building strong teeth?
Experts agree that children need food from all the major food groups to grow properly and stay healthy. Too many carbohydrates, sugars (for example, from cake, cookies, candies, milk, fruit juice, and other sugary foods and beverages), and savory foods and starches (for example, pretzels and potato chips) can cause tooth decay. How long carbohydrates remain on the teeth is the main culprit that leads to tooth decay. Read more
The effects of fruit on kids teeth
We all know that fruit is full of vitamins and an important part of kids diets. But did you know that too much fruit (whether it's fresh fruit, fruit juices, dried fruit or canned fruit) can have a negative effect and contribute to problems such as cavities and erosion, especially if your kids are grazing on fruit all day? Read more
Are sports drinks okay for kids?
Statistics continue to show an alarming increase in the consumption of sports and energy drinks, especially among kids. Along with having the potential to cause various health problems, these beverages can cause irreversible damage to teeth. And sugar is only part of the reason — high acidity levels in these drinks erode enamel, the outer layer of teeth. Read more